McDowalls Surveyors Ltd was founded in 1880 by George A McDowall who, at the time, was a poor rate collector for West Ham Council. In 1920 Myles Francis joined and the practice expanded considerably under the name of McDowall & Francis to encompass development, valuations, compulsory purchase, sales and auctions. In 1973 Douglas Stratford joined and the company continued to expand its core range of business activities.
In 1999 Chris Baker joined as a Graduate Surveyor and became the firm's youngest ever Partner. In 2011 Chris acquired the company and has ensured that McDowalls has continued to provide traditional services while introducing additional specialisms to the company.
McDowalls Surveyors is now a multi-disciplined company specialising in a range of services including:
• Residential and commercial property sales and lettings
• Residential & block management
• Lettings & tenancy management
• Rent reviews/appraisals
• Lease renewals
• Lease extensions
• Freehold enfranchisement
• Housing association valuation services (including staircasing, re-sales, RTB/RTA/VRTB)
• Valuations and surveying
• Property licencing specialist
• Professional consultancy
• Planned/major works (Section 20)
McDowalls makes every effort to ensure that the services we provide are in accordance with best practice, in the best interest of our clients whilst offering consumer protection. We have membership or accreditation with the following:
• RICS - The Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors - this covers the entire firm and has strict requirements, as to how we conduct business. We are currently members and have been for over 100 years. This ensures that the firm has a redress scheme for business to work, it insists we hold clients money in a ring fenced designated RICS client account away from our businesses own money. Details can be found at http://www.rics.org/uk/regulation1
• Ombudsman Services - This is a redress scheme for consumers who may wish to raise a complaint about how the firm has dealt with them. Details can be found at https://www.ombudsman-services.org
• TDS / Deposit Protection Service - Our tenants deposits are protected and held in accordance with best practice
• Information Commission Office - The data we hold on our clients and their tenants is held in accordance with the required regulations
• London Rental Standard - The firm is an accredited landlord with London and is working towards the required standards supported by the Mayor of London
The Directors of McDowalls are:
• Christopher Baker B.Sc.(Hons), Dip. Est. Man, MIRPM, AssocRICS
• Andrew Carter B.A.(Hons), Dip. Est. Man. M.R.I.C.S.